Even though root canal and tooth extraction are often used interchangeably, they are very different procedures.
Damage to the nerve tissue inside of a tooth sometimes requires a root canal procedure. Despite the tales you may have heard regarding the procedure, most root canals are very comfortable – especially compared to the oral pain and discomfort you may be feeling before the procedure. This procedure is used to save the existing tooth by removing the damaged tissue that is causing your pain and discomfort. A root canal is designed to save your natural tooth, rather than extract the tooth entirely. In many cases, a root canal-treated tooth will last a lifetime.
Signs that You May Need a Root Canal
If you’re experiencing any of these signs or symptoms, contact your nearest Omni Dental location.
- Severe toothache or pain and pressure when you chew
- Prolonged sensitivity to hot or cold temperatures even after the hot/cold drink or food has been removed
- Discoloration or darkening of the tooth
- Swelling or tenderness in the gums surrounding the sore tooth
- A recurring pimple on the gums near your sore tooth
Tooth extraction or pulling a tooth is often required when the tooth is too damaged from a trauma or decay to be repaired with other treatments such as a root canal. There are several reasons why our dentist may recommend tooth extraction.
- Your mouth is crowded. Often teeth are pulled in preparation for braces so that your teeth can be properly aligned.
- Infections or tooth decay that extends to the center of your tooth (the pulp) that cannot be corrected with root canal or cured with antibiotics.
- Risk of infection if your immune system is compromised due to a specific health condition.
If your dentist recommends an extraction, it can be done in our office to be cost-effective and convenient for you.
Your dentist at Omni Dental takes advantage of advances in technology and dental techniques that make root canal procedures and tooth extractions more effective while taking less time. We guarantee that every effort is made to keep all your teeth, as it is always the best and preferred solution.