The temporomandibular joint (T
Dr. Blankenship at Omni Dental delves deep into understanding this complex joint. Through extensive research and collaboration with renowned dentists, she’s perfected methods to alleviate stress on the TMJ, ensuring relief from the debilitating symptoms it may cause.
- TMJ: Stands for the temporomandibular joint and is the joint linking the lower jaw to the skull. Unique in its sliding motion, its intensive usage can sometimes lead to complications.
- TMD: Stands for temporomandibular disease. While it affects the TMJ, it points to specific diseases within the joint, like arthritis.
You might be dealing with TMJ dysfunction if you experience:
- Regular headaches
- Pain around the eyes
- Discomfort in the jaw, neck, and tooth areas
- Tiring facial muscles, especially after prolonged talking or consuming certain foods
- Worn or broken teeth, especially front teeth appearing flat or chipped
Intervention & Treatment
In many cases, Dr. Blankenship employs an acrylic platform called a bite appliance or splint. This device assists in realigning the TMJ and its surrounding muscles. Through consistent adjustments, the appliance aids in ensuring the jaw’s proper alignment, thus significantly reducing TMD-associated symptoms.
The therapy’s duration depends on the severity but generally spans 3 to 6 months. Once the muscles and the jaw feel better, Dr. Blankenship will curate a comprehensive plan to maintain and further improve the jaw’s function and its surrounding muscles’ well-being.
Are You Experiencing TMJ/TMD Symptoms?
If you are dealing with any of the TMJ/TMD symptoms or feel that your teeth don’t fit correctly, don’t endure pain in silence. There’s hope and effective treatment.
Dr. Blankenship at Omni Dental in Pepperwood Village, 156th and Dodge, invites you to come in for a thorough evaluation and discussion on the best course of action tailored for your situation.
Contact Omni Dental Today